Friday, October 2, 2009

How Cheap Can They Get?


Now the Rangers aren't bothering to print the media guides. Outrageous. I understand the go-green Mike Richter hug-a-tree sentiment. I do, really. How about the Rangers stop traveling by gas guzzing SUV's and charter planes? If it's not a save-the-planet thing and a money thing (much more likely in a Dolan-ran organization), how about he tells Glen Sather to stop awarding stupid contracts so they don't have to pinch pennies when it comes to servicing their season ticket subscribers ...

Media guides are great pieces of memorabilia. Just last week I was talking another fan who has the guys sign their pages - that way they know the autographs aren't going to be sold on ebay. Personally, I remember when I was a kid and my dad brought me home my first one (still have it). You can pour and pour over numbers, learn some team history, and actually learn something about the players themselves. Given that today's athlete is kept segregated from the fans as much as possible, the guides are something that helps humanize them. Now it's a file that is locked away on your computer (as long as you register for some kind of service). Weak.

1 comment:

TheMetalChick said...

The Islanders arent printing their media guides out anymore, either- Botta mentioned that just the other day. But everyone already knows the Isles are cheap lol.