Monday, December 31, 2007

Let's All Go To Buffa-lo


Well, this first writing comes while I am on the Amtrak train up to Buffalo for the Winter Classic between the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Sabres. Its kinda funny if you think of it, I am traveling almost 10 hours by rail to see a game between two teams I don't particularly care for out in the freezing cold. What is wrong with me?!?!?

As the league has decided to ban cameras with actual lenses, any/all photos will be from my little point-and-shoot. Some will make it up here, some will end up on my Flickr page.

The game should be a quick one, as there will likely be little contact - too damn cold to board someone. My guess is that the teams will be giving each other a lot of room and we should see Cindy finally making a name for himself outside of the realm of hockey geeks. However, he will go up against a goaltender already versed in playing outdoors, in fact both goaltenders expected to start - Ryan Miller and Ty Conklin have played actual open-air games, Miller with Michigan State and Conklin with Edmonton in the Heritage Classic.

Regardless of the game itself, the Winter Classic should be something to watch, if only for the spectacle of 72,000 hockey freaks succumbing to frostbite as Gary Bettman burns dollar bills to light his cigar.

So stay tuned!

No comments: