Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Some Odds And Ends

So I don't know how often I will be able to post over the next few days due to my "real" jobs (Someone pay me to do this!! Please!!) but I wanted to check in with a few things:

First off, great move by Vancouver to resign Trevor Linden. The man is a class act with a great work ethic who sets a great example not only for his teammates, but for the rest of the lead. An elder statesman at this point, Linden embodies the old warrior spirit and will be a big help to the 'Nucks as they try to build off of Roberto Luongo's astounding stinginess in net. For all of his achievements out there, I am willing to forget the fact that he once was an Islander. Like the hooker on the corner with dreams of being an actress, sometimes you have to do what you have to do for money. No matter how low they are. (Not that I would stoop to selling my ass ... or ever being an Islander, but do what I say, not what I do, ha!).

In another good signing of an older player, Los Angeles signed Jon Klemm to bolster their defense. Its a great move as it gives youngsters like Jack Johnson and Thomas Hickey someone else to look up to and use as a crutch (alongside Rob Blake, who is surprisingly still in the NHL). Johnson is a stud and bears watching - he could have a Dion Phaneuf-like rookie year and can be a candidate for the Calder if things fall into place.

Which brings me to NHL trophies. Coming probably next week, I will do a post a day of my predictions for a trophy - the Adams, Norris, Vezina, Hart and Calder. Once that is done, I may do quick division-by-division predictions, but I don't know if I will have time (or you will care). We shall see.

Two last things - Eddie Belfour is headed to Sweden. While he probably should retire, he still has some great skills and had a good year in Florida last season. I don't know how no teams in the NHL were willing to throw him a backup slot. And Mike Ricci retired, officially handing the crown of ugliest hockey player over to Rob Brind'Amour. Happy trails Reech, and good luck with your new front office gig with San Jose. I heard they also hired Bryan Marchment, so you better watch your knees as you walk through the halls. Good luck!

No comments: